Skip to main content

2020 First Quarter Report: And Then the Coronavirus Struck ...

This month sure has changed the outlook on my yearly goals for banjo and fiddle. While I'm able to keep up my playing at home, getting out to play with others this year has been interrupted. I only made it to one old-time session and one festival before Ohio was ordered to stay at home because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Recent estimates show that we'll likely be asked to continue social distancing until May. That means no playing with others for at least another month, and it wouldn't surprise me if that lasted longer.

The pandemic has changed my music-making activities in other ways too. Since I'm now working from home, I'm not taking my usual lunch break to play fiddle in the park. Instead, my playing time is typically relegated until the evenings, when everyone else has gone to bed, or other spare moments.

The good news is that the weather is starting to warm up, and I've gotten to play outside on my porch a couple times in the last couple weeks.

One pre-pandemic highlight was seeing Allison de Groot and Tatiana Hargreaves in concert on Jan. 22. They were mesmerizing and inspiring. I also enjoyed seeing Mark Olitsky, Susie Goehring and Riley Calcagno play at the Lake Erie Folk Fest (see photo).

Now, let's take a closer look at my activities the last three months as it pertains to fiddle, banjo and blogging.

Fiddle

My focus tune this quarter was "Julie Ann Johnson." I based my version mostly on the playing of Mark Campbell, whose YouTube video was a big help.

I also started working through Alan Kaufman's Beginning Old-Time Fiddle, which I bought second-hand from eBay last June. I had used it a bit to help me figure out "Mississippi Sawyer" last year. So far, I've worked through the first three tunes in the book, "Sally Goodin," "Ida Red" and "Eighth of January." The next tune in the book just happens to be the next tune on my 2020 list, "Soldier's Joy."

I got to play fiddle with friends at the Lake Erie Folk Fest in February. I also brought my fiddle along to a jam at the beginning of March, but only played one tune ("Julie Ann Johnson," thankfully) before switching to banjo.

My playing time goal was 52.5 hours, which I reached last night. I plan to tack onto that total tonight.

Banjo

My focus song this quarter was "John Hardy." I based my playing on the version from Ken Perlman's Clawhammer Style Banjo book and singing on the Carter Family. Unfortunately, these two versions don't line up perfectly, and I've struggled marrying the lyrics to my playing. I've gotten closer this past month, but I still consider it a work in progress.

My next song is "John Henry." I haven't quite decided on which version I want to learn. There are lots to choose from.

I met my playing time goal of 18 hours for the quarter, and as mentioned above I played banjo at a jam this month for the first time in a long time. My new gig bag has made it easier to carry both my fiddle and my banjo when I go to jams and festivals, and I'm planning to make a point of playing banjo more with others. My jamming chops have fallen way off.

Blogging

My blogging this quarter has been a bit uneven. This marks my eighth post of the year, which is decent output overall. However, I went about four weeks between posts from February to March. I'd like to be more consistent.

With that said, here are my Top 3 Glorious Posts of the Quarter:
In other writing news, I submitted two reviews for The Old-Time Herald, and they still have one I submitted that wasn't included in the most recent issue. Be sure to subscribe to check those out, and to support this vital publication.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b