Skip to main content

2020 Vision: Setting Goals, Learning Jam Favorites and Songs About Johns

Welcome to the new decade. As is usually the case, we start the year off with a statement of goals and purpose to carry us through to December. Last year ended pretty strong, finding success in learning some old chestnuts on fiddle and singing with the banjo. I wanted to continue that theme for 2020, so my theme for this year is "Jam Favorites" on fiddle and "John Songs" on banjo.

Once again I'm hoping to increase my overall playing time. While I'm not sure how much more practice time I can wring out of my schedule, I'm hoping to reach those goals by finding a little more time to play with others, whether at local festivals, public old-time sessions or more intimate musical gatherings.

A big goal of mine is to play my banjo more in a group setting, as I'm worried my jam skills are withering away with so much focus on the fiddle.

A general goal is to record myself more often. This was a goal I set last year, but only managed to do once. To put a number on it, I'm aiming for once a quarter.

FIDDLE

This month marks my seventh year learning fiddle. The tunes I've picked to learn this year are all tunes I encounter at local jams fairly often. I've tried to balance what keys the tunes are in, keeping in mind I prefer to limit myself to learning four tunes per  year.

My 2020 Fiddle Tunes:
  1. Julie Ann Johnson (D)
  2. Nail That Catfish to a Tree (G)
  3. Soldier's Joy (D)
  4. Waltz TBD 
I've never really tried a waltz on fiddle, so I'm still trying to figure out which one to work on this year. Preferably it would be in any key other than D (or A, really). If you have a suggestion, let me know in the comments.

Hitting last year's goal of 200 hours (a personal best) was pretty tough, but I still wanted to strive to play a bit more this year. It may seem like a strange number, but I'm aiming for 209 hours* on fiddle in 2020. I'm hoping to add at least one local festival to my schedule and attend a couple more jams to reach this goal, as well as to continue improving my rhythm.

One maintenance item I'd like to get done this year is rehair my backup bow. I've been playing without a spare for more than a year. It's time to get that rectified.

BANJO

Learning to sing and play some songs last year was a difficult but rewarding challenge, and I want to continue that effort in 2020. I was trying to think of some common songs that I knew some of the lyrics of and figured I could pick out well enough of banjo, and the name John kept coming up.

My 2020 Banjo Songs:
  1. John Hardy
  2. John Henry
  3. My Name is John Johanna
  4. Big Rock Candy Mountain
I know, "Big Rock Candy Mountain" throws off the pattern, but it's another one I sing to my son at bedtime (see "Sloop John B"). My playing time goal is a big jump from last year, where I reached 50 hours. This year's goal is 72 hours* on banjo, which might be a stretch.

Again, I have a maintenance goal. After botching my head replacement last year, I plan on fixing that at some point this year. Until then, I keep bracing for it to pop.

BLOGGING

I know better than to aim for another record year. I just want to be more consistent with my posts. I'd also like to get another interview set up for 2020. As always, I appreciate you all hitching up your wagon and joining me on this journey. Stay tuned!



*In case you're asking, "Why these strange numbers?" As many of you know, I track my banjo and fiddle playing on a spreadsheet, and these totals would make my lifetime totals on each instrument round numbers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b