Skip to main content

Let the Record Show: Listening to Myself

One of my goals for 2019 is to get back to recording my own playing. Recording yourself is a common suggestion for improving musicianship, but it's something I've gotten away from in the last couple years. The last time I recorded myself was in 2017.

I've had this Zoom H2 digital recorder since about 2010, but it has lain unused for the last few years as my phone's voice recorder became my gear of choice. The results were fine, but limited. The Zoom H2 has far better dynamic range, and way more storage capacity. The biggest benefit is I can set it and (try to) forget it.

Last week, I dusted off my H2 and recorded a portion of my practice session, running through 10 tunes as a baseline to see where I stand for 2019 and pinpoint areas for improvement.

Upon listening to the results, my immediate impression was I tend to play too fast, which I suspect led to my other two problems: muddy phrasing and uneven rhythm. My intonation seemed OK for the most part, except for on unison notes and lower octave variations.

I seemed to get more comfortable on about the fourth tune. My playing slowed down and improved markedly.

Overall, my first recording session of the year was a success. I have a starting point to compare future recordings, and I learned some important lessons.

Longtime readers will know that I'm no expert musician. I'm a constantly struggling, self-taught player. By trade, I am an editor. By hobby, I'm a fan of the banjo and old-time music. That's the viewpoint I strive to present on this blog. With that said, I hope some of the lessons I learned will help some of you.

One of the reasons I haven't recorded myself a lot in the past is that I get discouraged by what I hear. I've never been much of a performer. At jams, I clam up when asked to lead tunes. The same goes for when the recording light goes on.

One way to get more comfortable in a new situation is repetition. I've made an appointment on my calendar for another recording session in a month, and I plan to do so every month this year.

The other way to get more comfortable in a new situation is to literally get more comfortable. My recording space for last week's session was the kitchen, as it has some of the best acoustics in my house. However, I found it hard to relax and tap my foot while standing in front of the counter where the H2 was placed. Next time, at the very least, I'll get a chair.

Like anyone else, I am my own worst critic. It's easy to rush to identify negative aspects of my playing. However, I noticed as I kept listening that I became less critical. This has led me to adopt some new rules regarding these recording sessions. During the first time through, listen as objectively as possible for an overall impression. On the second listen, take notes on strengths and weaknesses. Listen a third time to hear what's going right.

It's important to keep listening to myself and try to get more comfortable with hearing my own playing. As I get used to hearing myself, I can be a little more objective and hear where I've improved and where I need to make adjustments.

My next challenges is figuring out Audacity. I just downloaded the free program, and I'm feeling a bit lost so far. I want to cut my practice session into individual tracts and perhaps add a click track to check my rhythm. I guess I'll be spending some time with the users manual.

Do you have any suggestions for better recording results? Let me know your experiences in the comments. And remember, you can click subscribe in the upper right corner to get these new posts sent directly to your inbox.

Comments

  1. Might I suggest recording more often? The more you do it, the less awkward it becomes. Also maybe turn it on later in the session ,when you're warmed up and done working something out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, ChickenMan. Perhaps I shoot for weekly sessions. I didn't mention above, but I had been playing awhile before starting the recording.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b