Skip to main content

2019 Third Quarter Report: Sawing the Mississippi and the Sloop John B.

Steady as she goes. That was the name of the game these past three months. I maintained my pace toward my yearly playing goals on fiddle and banjo. I learned "Mississippi Sawyer" on fiddle and "Sloop John B." on banjo. I attended two local festivals and arranged a one-on-one jam session to keep up with my "playing with others" goal. I posted twice a month on this blog, which is at least consistent if not up to last year's standard-bearer. All in all, it was a steady third quarter.

On the fiddle, I played 50 hours this quarter and feel pretty happy with "Mississippi Sawyer." I've worked out a couple variations, and I even tried it out in a jam at one of the festivals I attended this year. I've also continued to work on "Possum on a Rail." Next up is the good old chestnut, "Old Joe Clark." I also had written down "June Apple" in my notes. Depending on how well "Old Joe Clark" comes along, I may try a second tune this quarter.

On banjo, I played 13 hours this quarter, which puts me one hour ahead of my benchmark. I'm hoping I can exceed my goal and finish with a nice, round 50 hours for the year. I started the quarter still concentrating on "I've Been All Around This World," and got it to a more satisfying place than where I was at the end of the second quarter. I then moved on to "Sloop John B." While I had the lyrics pretty rock solid, I didn't have much of a guide for playing it on banjo. I looked up the chords and basically picked my way through it slowly by ear in standard G tuning (gDGBD). My next song will be "Down in the Willow Garden." It's another one I know the words pretty well, but will have to figure out my own banjo accompaniment. However, I imagine if I needed to, I could track down a banjo tab for this tune.

This quarter was a busy one for local festivals. I attended Music in the Valley on July 14 and then the Raccoon County Music Festival on Aug. 10. The weekend following Raccoon County, there were two more festivals, Music Along the River and the Blue Sky Folk Festival. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend either one. I voiced my concern about this problem last year, but I still hope the organizers of these festivals will find a way to space them out a little more. Blue Sky used to be in September. I'm not sure why they moved it up to compete with the other two. I think it's a real shame.

In addition to jamming at the festivals, I also got together again with a local old-time master who has helped me improve my fiddling quite a bit. During our first meeting in November last year, I learned I had a serious timing deficiency. And though I'm by no means cured, I was happy to hear I have made some solid improvement. I've been revisiting "Going Down to Georgie-O" and "Forked Deer" to smooth things out.

One other highlight this quarter was stumbling across a banjo builder at a local arts and crafts show. I met Don and Jackie Gardner at the Made in Ohio festival. They are the proprietors of Gardner's Dulcimer Shop in Grafton, Ohio. I got a chance to ogle and play his beautiful banjos, which I found to be very reasonably priced. I had my credit card on me, and I had a hard time resisting the urge to go broke. Their banjos are definitely worth checking out.

While I'm not setting any records with the number of blog posts I've made in the past three months, I maintained consistency and matched my second quarter production of two per month. I was happy to finally finish my review of Lew Stern's biography of Tommy Thompson and to share an initiative to track down recordings of the Southern Ohio fiddler Jess Large. Sadly, however, the old-time community lost John Cohen this month. On the bright side, Mike Seeger's Just Around the Bend project was released, and my copy recently arrived in the mail, so you can expect a review of that in the coming weeks.

I want to finish 2019 on a strong note. I'm on pace to reach my playing time goals, and feel good about keeping that up. There are no more local festivals this year, but I'm planning to attend some jam sessions in the next three months to continue playing with others. Maybe I'll get back to recording myself, as I had planned this year. Thank you for hanging in there with me.

Previous Quarterly Reports:
[Photo credits: The top photo comes from the Raccoon County Music Festival Facebook page. See if you can find me. The second image is the banjo selection from the Gardner Dulcimer Shop tent at this year's Made in Ohio.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b