Skip to main content

Second Year of Ward Jarvis: Grey Eagle and 2018 in Review

Can you believe 2018 is drawing to a close? That means it's time for a heavy dose of navelgazing to see what's built up, what needs work and perhaps what needs to be cleaned out. Back in January, I dubbed this "A Second Year of Ward Jarvis," building on the previous year's progress.

My goals were to learn four Ward Jarvis tunes on fiddle, log 186 hours of practice and play my banjo more often. The tunes on this year's list were culled from my list of common Ohio tunes, as well as one carryover from 2017.

Here are the tunes:

Fourth Quarter Highlights

The Good:  "Grey Eagle," while still a work in progress, has come along nicely. I had the opportunity to play with some folks recently, and I gave my newest tune a try for the first time in a group setting. It didn't go half bad. There are still three and a half weeks to go this year, and I think by then it'll be downright passable.

The Bad:  The frequency of blog posts has dropped off significantly during this final quarter of the year. I took on a project that I was hoping to finish quickly, but then it grew and grew. That led to delays and skipping a few weeks. I hope to share some of that project soon, as I'm still trying to figure out the best way to present the content.

The Ugly:  Rhythm and tempo. As I mentioned above, I played tunes with some folks recently, which I hadn't done since July. And boy, was it ever obvious. It was a mess. The majority of my fiddle and banjo playing is done solo, and I haven't worked much with a metronome or played with recordings to help with my timing. That was a big wakeup call.

Best post: There's not a whole lot to choose from over the last three months, so I'll have to go with my review of the Highwoods documentary.

2018 Highlights 

This has been a pretty good year for playing fiddle and banjo, writing about music and learning more about old-time music in Ohio.

One of my biggest successes was developing a daily musical habit. In the effort to play more often, I started tracking the number of days in a row that I played banjo and fiddle. My longest streak of the year was 86 days on banjo and 89 days on fiddle, a feat that was only interrupted because of an amazing family trip to Greece in August.

Work travel has prevented me from getting near that mark again, but I'm currently in the middle of a 25-day streak that I hope to continue through the New Year.

Aside from blogging about old-time music, I also starting writing reviews for The Old-Time Herald  this year, an experience that has been very gratifying. Subscribe today to make sure you don't miss my next review.

Fiddle Highlights

This marked my fifth year of beginning to learn fiddle. The more I learn, the more I learn that there's more I need to learn.

My "Second Year of Ward Jarvis" has gone pretty well. The tunes have come along decently, though I'm still not thrilled with my playing of "Three Forks of Reedy" or "Leather Britches." While I'm happy I had the opportunity to play Jarvis tunes in a group setting a couple times this year, the experience taught me that my playing of "Head of the Creek" still needs a lot of work. On the bright side, my playing of "Icy Mountain" seems to be OK.

As for my playing time, I'm a bit behind schedule with 17 hours left to go and 25 days left to do it. If I reach my goal, it will put me at 1,000 hours lifetime, which is 10 percent of The BIG Goal.

Banjo Highlights

Mission accomplished! My goal for 2018 was simply to play banjo more than I did last year. I've already surpassed last year's mark of 40 hours, and I even learned a couple new tunes this year. The biggest highlight was taking my banjo to an old-time session for the first time in years.

This was also a big milestone for me on the banjo, marking a decade of playing. This January will  mark 10 years of learning clawhammer, as I started on Earl Scruggs' three-finger style initially.

Blog Highlights

Despite my lack of recent posts, this has been my strongest year of blogging yet. Between this and a couple more articles that I already have scheduled, I'll surpass 40 posts for the first time ever. Two of those schedule posts will be the Top 5 Glory-Beaming Banjo Posts of 2018 based on pageviews and the other are my Editor's Picks; Favorite Posts of 2018. Stay tuned, and thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b