Skip to main content

Slow Boat to the Beach: Eck Robertson's "Stumptown Stomp"

Maybe it's because I've been thinking of Spencer & Rains since my last post. Maybe it's just because I simply don't know many G tunes. But "Stumptown Stomp" has been on my mind recently.

"Stumptown Stomp" comes from the playing of Eck Robertson, who many consider to be the first commercial country musician. He first recorded for Victor in 1922, with "Sally Gooden" and "Arkansaw Traveler" being the first two sides released.

Between 1922 and 1930, Victor released a total of 16 sides of Robertson's fiddling. He wouldn't be recorded again until 1963, when Mike Seeger, John Cohen and Tracy Schwarz of the New Lost City Ramblers paid him a visit. Those recordings were later released in 1991 on County Records 202, Famous Cowboy Fiddler, which included Robertson's playing of "Stumptown Stomp."

The tune seemed to bubble to the surface in my local old-time circles after it was included on Spencer & Rains' 2015 album, The Old Texas Fiddle, Vol 2. It didn't take me too long to get the general gist of it by ear, but I could never quite grab the final phrase of the B part.

Over the last week or so, I've been noodling with "Stumptown Stomp" again, but I still couldn't catch the last little bit. Today, I came across notation attributed to Howard Rains and meticulously tabbed out the two-measure section that has vexed me all this time.

Of course, it was much simpler than my ear kept telling me. I sat there during my lunchtime practice session and repeated the phrase and the tune for 30 minutes straight. I even used a metronome. And that led to a bit of an epiphany.

As I wrote in January, one of my goals this year was to improve my rhythm. The primary way I've gone about that is to focus on simpler tunes and less complex bowing. I also started recording myself again, so I can better critique my own playing. I'm already starting to see good results, after a recent tune get-together where I managed to play on the beat for most of the time.

What I haven't done is play with a metronome. At least, not with the fiddle. I've done some recent work with the dreaded ticking time machine of despair while playing banjo, but I could never quite get myself locked in while bowing. I always thought it was because it was hard to hear the metronome over the sound of the fiddle right next to my ear, but today I realized it was something else: speed.

While working on that trouble spot on "Stumptown Stomp," I set the metronome to a dreadfully slow 80 bpm. The click ... click ... click ... click ... suddenly stood out as I worked through the tune. I kept thinking, "Slow Bow to the Beat." Repeating that phrase over and over, it began to morph into "Slow Boat to the Beach," which sounds really nice amid these final gasps of winter in Northeast Ohio.

So that's my new mantra, "Slow Boat to the Beach." Not only will it remind me not to rush my fiddling, but it'll also put a happy picture in my mind's eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b