Skip to main content

Staying Connected: Michael Ismerio on Teaching Fiddle Online

Michael Ismerio is a fiddler and teacher based near Asheville, North Carolina. He's been teaching fiddle online for a number of years, and he recently launched an online fiddle course through his website. He spent the past two years developing the online course, which happened to launch shortly before the coronavirus pandemic forced us all to stay home.

Over the last month, Ismerio has been hosting a free webinar on "The Secret to Old-Time Fiddling," which showcases his teaching method that uses mnemonics to learn various bowing patterns.

Ismerio's next webinar it tomorrow, May 12, but he will be hosting the webinars every two weeks for the time being. You can sign up for the webinar at michaelismerio.com/webinar-registration.

GBB conducted an interview with Ismerio for our last post, "Going Virtual: Old-Time Music in the Time of COVID-19," but his answers seemed worth publishing in full. The following is a transcript of our email conversation.

How did the idea of a fiddle webinar come about?
"The idea of moving my teaching online actually came about years ago as I realized I could only reach a limited number of people living where I live outside of Asheville in the mountains of Western North Carolina," Ismero said. "I really believe in my teaching method and knew that if I could create a system that works online, then I would be able to reach and serve a lot more people.

"I spent the last two years professionally filming and editing 40 instructional fiddle videos and building an online teaching platform on my website to house and organize the videos," he added. "The fact that my teaching platform went live a few months before the pandemic was pure coincidence.

"The webinar idea came about as a means of solving a challenge which is that most people don't know about my teaching method and how it differs from other teachers," he said. "In essence, the webinar is a no-cost opportunity for people to get to know me and see if they like how I teach and present information."

What challenges did you encounter in presenting in this format?
"In all my online teaching, the time lag has been the biggest challenge," Ismerio said. "I have taught for many years in person and have really focused on playing with my students at the same time in order to keep them focused and moving forward. With the time lapse inherent in video, I have had to adjust how I teach and do more call and response type teaching. I still have my students play along with me, but I have to mute their audio so that the sound doesn't cancel each other out.

"I also quickly realized that I could not do the webinar alone," he added, "so I brought in a co-host to moderate the webinar so that I could focus on delivering the content."

What is the value of providing online interactive events for the old-time community?
"The value I am providing is helping people use this unexpected space in their life to focus on rhythm and bowing and improving their overall fiddle technique," Ismerio said. "I also have a private Facebook group for my students to help build a sense of community between my students. I can imagine a lot of other value for interactive events for community building as well."

How could others benefit from following this example?
"The main benefits that I can see are encouraging folks to still find ways to share their gifts even while isolated," Ismerio said. "To stay connected with other human beings. And potentially to augment their unpredictable financial situation."

During the pandemic, Ismerio has been offering a "Stuck at Home Sale," where his online course and individual lessons are 50 percent off. The sale ends tomorrow after his webinar. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b