Skip to main content

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

Happy New Year, banjo nerds!

We’re back with a few quick topics as we kick off 2016 and another exciting year of the Glory-Beaming Banjo. Let’s get right to it.

Year in Review
The New Year marked my third year playing fiddle. I’m playing with a little more confidence, but realize I have a long way to go. I accomplished a number of goals in 2015. I got out more to play with others, which has helped improve my ear, rhythm and speed. I completed the Brad Leftwich “Learn to Play Old-Time Fiddle” videos, which gave me a good foundation to build on, with a strong focus on rhythmic bowing. I also exceeded my annual practice goal.

RELATED: A New Year. A New Goal

Ever since reading Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers, I’ve tracked my practice time, working toward achieving 10,000 hours, the amount of time Gladwell theorizes makes one a master at any given skill. I know there is no real way to quantify the effort I put into playing music and the amount of time it will take me to “get good.” And if I really think about it, it’s almost depressing how long it will take me to reach 10,000 hours on either banjo or fiddle, as I just passed 1,000 hours on the banjo last year, my seventh playing.

RELATED: Fiddle Year One

However, racking up the hours on my simple spreadsheet keeps me motivated throughout the year. Last year I hoped to reach 180 hours playing fiddle, and I finished at 192. That gives me 482 lifetime and an estimated 60 years until I reach 10,000, so it’s best not to get caught up in the numbers.

Santa Delivers
This Christmas brought me some old-time joy. I received a new set of strings for my fiddle (Prim), a metronome (I gave my old one to my niece) and Bruce Molsky’s “Southern Old-Time Fiddle Tour” video from Homespun. I was playing on the same strings for more than two years, so it was definitely time to make a change. The metronome is my stand-in for a rhythm section. Finally, the Molsky video will further build my repertoire and playing skills.

New Setup
In addition to installing new strings, I took my fiddle to local violinmaker Peter Horn to have some work done. My bridge was starting to “potato chip” as one friend described how it has started to curl and collapse upon itself. I also needed a new sound post. I had my fiddle back the next day and for a second thought I’d gotten the wrong instrument. My fiddle sounds so much fuller now. It has reinvigorated my desire to play. I’m exceptionally happy with Horn’s work and the new strings.

Goals for 2016
This year’s fiddle goals are to improve my ability to learn tunes by ear, improve my rhythm and get more comfortable playing with others. As far as my banjo playing goes, I want to focus more on transferring the tunes I learn on fiddle to the five-string and just playing on more regular basis. 

Getting back to all those numbers, I’ve set a goal of 200 hours on the fiddle. It’s a pretty big jump from last year’s goal of 180, but considering it’s only another eight hours more than what I ended up with in 2015, it seems doable. My banjo numbers were bleak last year. I set a goal of 70 hours in 2015, but only managed 47. It light of that, I’m only shooting for 50 hours this year. I hope to come back next year and say I blew that goal out of the water.

I also hope to attend a few more jams, local festivals and other old-time gatherings in 2016. There’s a new festival in February, and one in the summer I’ve been meaning to attend the last couple years. I’d also like to return to Music in the Valley and Raccoon County. In addition to attending more of the monthly jams in the area, perhaps a few other opportunities to play will present themselves as the year goes on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b