Skip to main content

Playing Music in the Valley

In the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is the historic Hale Farm & Village, an outdoor living museum of life in the 19th century.

Jonathan Hale, a farmer from Connecticut, came to what was then the Western Reserve in 1810. Three generations of Hales lived in the house he built in 1825.

Across what is now Oak Hill Road, a small village dots the bucolic landscape with barns, a church, a schoolhouse, a pottery shop and other small buildings . Today, reenactors inhabit the village to display blacksmithing, glassblowing and other trades. Great Lakes Brewing Co. operates a small organic farm, where it grows vegetables and herbs to be used in its restaurant. Hale Farm & Village is open year round, and each July it hosts Music in the Valley in collaboration with the local non-profit group Folknet.



This past weekend marked the event's 40th. In the video above, you'll see the wide variety of music represented at the two-day affair. The group I played with shows up at the 1:10 mark. The circle grew much bigger by Saturday afternoon.

This was my first year attending Music in the Valley, and I was toting along my 10-month-old son, as my wife worked that day. It was our first big father-son adventure, as I usually only run short errands while on Dad Duty. I brought just my banjo, as 1.) I'm not comfortable enough playing my fiddle in a jam yet, and 2.) it would have been way too much to carry, what with the baby, stroller, diaper bag, camp chair and other supplies.

As it was, I had to rig up a strap for my banjo case so I could sling it around my shoulder. I used a length of nylon rope I keep in the car for tying down the trunk when hauling large items. It looked ridiculous, but it worked.

The event goes from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, with overnight camping available for those interested in attending both days. Musicians get in free, otherwise it's $10 for adults and $5 for ages 3 to 18. My son and I showed up around 1 p.m. and stayed until about 4:30.

Hale Farm is only a 15-minute drive from my house. I didn't know what I was missing by not attending past years. This will have to become a regular event for my family. In addition to the music festival, Hale Farm also hosted a wine tasting event during the weekend. There is plenty to do for young and old, musicians and non-musicians alike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b