Skip to main content

Riley Baugus: The Excerpts

The April 2012 issue of the Banjo Newsletter includes my article about Riley Baugus in the quarterly section Old-Time Way. Baugus is a considerate and insightful musician and gave me so many thoughtful answers that I couldn't possibly include it all in the space provided. Here are some excerpts from the interview that didn't make the cut:

On his uncle, who was one of his banjo teachers: 
"I had an uncle from Sparta, that played in an old-time stringband when he was a young man. He moved up to Fredericksburg, Va., in the early 1960s with his family. He followed some friends there to cut timber. Their plan was to stay for six months. Just long enough to cut one tract of timber and then come back home to the mountains. He and his family still live there. He's 85 now. He played guitar mostly, but got a banjo back in the late ‘60s and learned to play it pretty well, two-finger style. I loved the sound of the banjo. It was incredible. He taught me a bit."

On his early days: "Of course my playing was pretty rough at first when I was trying to learn tunes, but I played almost all the time. If I had free time, I'd play. I used to take my banjo to school so that when there was a free moment or class period, I could play. I just loved to play."

On his ideal playing venue: "My ideal playing venue is wherever people gather that want to hear old-time music being played."

On his banjo preferences: "I like a banjo that is loud, but mellow, with a deep tone, sort of 'thuddy,' but with good cut. I don't like them to sound too muddy or damped, just rich and loud with all the overtones taken away, and solid, not metallic or jangley."

On building banjos and a busy schedule: "I do build banjos when I'm not out playing or recording or working on other parts of the music. I don't take orders for banjos anymore, as it would be impossible to fill them with the limited amount of time that I have to actually work in the shop. If people want one, I have them send me a request via e-mail and then I put their address in an e-mail list that I send out when I get one completed. That gives everyone a fair chance at getting a banjo without having to wait for years after they've ordered one and having it take an excessively long time. I really like making people happy, but that becomes more difficult when they're waiting for an instrument that you can't get finished."

In the BNL article, available to read here, Baugus shares many more insights about his playing, the elusive "Round Peak style," and old-time music in general. Be sure to check it out, and forgive my shameless plug.

[Editor's note: Photo courtesy of Riley Baugus' website, www.rileybaugusbanjos.com.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b