Skip to main content

Repetitive Recording Sessions Paving the Way to Social Media Fame

Look, we've all heard that it's a good idea to record yourself playing music so you can gauge your progress. My problem has always been planning to record myself maybe once every few months and then failing to follow through. However, over the last six weeks, I've been a pretty good streak. 

I have recorded myself on banjo or fiddle seven times since Feb. 9. Good or bad, I've also been sharing my videos on my Instagram account, which kind of makes it feel like there are stakes involved. I already don't like recording myself, but now there's that feeling like THIS IS A PERFORMANCE FOR MY FOLLOWERS. But let's be real, I get about 30 views and maybe 10 likes when I post these videos, so it's not big stakes. But it's enough to keep me working hard to play well.

A big thing for me is I'm not recording multiple takes to get it perfect. If I get through the tune without going off the rails, then that's the one I post. If I need more than three attempts, then I'll stop and try again next time. 

So far, I've been alternating banjo and fiddle videos. On banjo, the recordings are mostly noodling or playing old favorites, but I plan to start recording the new tunes I'm learning. On fiddle, I've been using the recordings to track my progress with Michael Ismerio's Online Fiddle Course. When I first started with this instructional program, I was going really slowly. I would force myself to spend a month or more on one tune. Now, I've ramped up my progress, dedicating at least seven practice sessions on a tune before recording myself and moving on to the next one. 

My biggest hope is that my repetitive recording sessions will not only help me identify areas for improvement, but also help me get over the stage fright I feel when playing with others. If social media fame comes with it, then so be it! 

Early Quarterly Report

It's still more than a week before the end of the month, but I figured I'd might as well provide my progress report on my 2022 goals for the first quarter of the year while I'm here. 

Hourly goals: I'm aiming for 125 hours for the year on both banjo and fiddle. That would be about 10.5 hours per instrument, per month. Right now, I'm sitting at 13.5 hours for the year, so a little behind. I got off to a slow start in January, but have been on a pretty good run since the second week of February. I'm making some headway in catching up, but it's going to take some work. I'm hoping some extended sessions at the festivals returning this year will help. 

New banjo tunes: My goal was to break out of my stagnation and learn something new on banjo. I've been obsessed with the tune "Martha Campbell," which I'd really like to learn on fiddle, so I learned it on banjo instead. I've also been working on "Kitchen Girl." In other banjo news, I installed a new bridge and new strings. I'm now playing with an 11/16-inch Koa Sampson bridge with Crowe spacing and medium Pisgah Banjo Co. strings.   

New fiddle tunes: I spent the first part of year reviewing the tunes I had already learned from the Ismerio fiddle course. I began learning new tunes on Feb. 28, with "Flatfoot in the Ashes" from Harvey Sampson and "Money in Both Pockets" from Charlie Bowman. My fiddle really needs new strings. I'm hoping to take care of that before the Lake Erie Folk Festival at the end of next month. 

Consistency goal: Like I said above, I got off to a slow start in January, but I've been pretty consistent since February. Sticking to my regular recording sessions and preparing for those upcoming festivals has kept me motivated to play as much as I can. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b