Skip to main content

10 for 10: Top Posts for a Decade of Glory-Beaming Banjo

Continuing the celebration of the first 10 years of this blog, I thought I'd share the posts that you have liked most since 2011. I did something similar at the end of 2019 for the end of the decade. I almost copied and pasted that post here, but there has been a surprising amount of movement within and additions to the Top 10 since then. 

One thing that struck me was how many posts from the first year of this blog remain on the Top 10. I'm also happy to see some posts highlighting my local banjo and old-time music community in Northeast Ohio. Without further ado, let's take a look at the most viewed Glory-Beaming Banjo posts of all time. 

10. Sustainable Banjos: An Interview with Pisgah Banjos Founder Patrick Sawyer (2020)

Our first post is the newest one to make the all-time list. I suspect it'll be climbing the ranks as time goes on and as Pisgah continues to produce excellent and affordable banjos. This post came out right as the pandemic was forcing shutdowns across the United States. It's hard to believe that was only a year ago. 

9. The Milliner-Koken Collection of American Fiddle Tunes (2011)

Clare Milliner and Walt Koken's massive tome of fiddle tune transcriptions is also celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. I bought the book with the intent of eventually learning to read music. Although I have used the book to learn some tunes, I still can't read music. Maybe that should be a goal this year. You can buy your own copy at Mudthumper Music

8. Highwoods Documentary Not a Lost Cause After All (2016)

The saga of the documentary about the Highwoods Stringband has been well documented on this blog. After writing about a crowdsourcing campaign in 2013, the project seemed to stagnate. Three years later, an email from Mudthumper Music explained the project was finally moving forward. Two years later, the film finally arrived. It was worth the wait. 

7. Master and Apprentice: Banjo Builder Workshop in Peninsula, Ohio (2015)

Master banjo craftsman Doug Unger and his accomplished apprentice Mark Ward presented a brilliant workshop in September 2015 at the historic Bronson Church, in Peninsula, Ohio, a small village located about 10 miles north of Akron. It's always a pleasure to see Unger's banjos up close. One day I will own one. 

6. Mark Olitsky: The Banjo Wizard of Cleveland (2011)

My first interview and among my first 10 posts on this blog. Olitsky has appeared in a lot of my posts, whether in this interview, reviews of his albums, concert recaps or reports on local festivals where he has appeared. He remains one of my favorite banjo players. What more do I need to say?  

5. Getting to Know Bob Smakula (2011)

Bob Smakula has finally overtaken Mark Olitsky to slide into our Top 5. The last time I saw the proprietor of Smakula Fretted Instruments was a few years ago at a jam in Cleveland, and he was indignant at ranking below his fellow Cleveland native. Thanks to you, he has some bragging rights! 

4. The Looks and Sounds of Deep Creek Strings (2011)

My March 2011 interview with Jeff Delfield is holding steady in the fourth spot. Deep Creek strings continues to produce some of the most interesting banjo designs available today. I love checking in on his creations, which mix older banjo designs with unique ornamentations. 

3. A Biologists Eye: A Look at the Artistry of Buckeye Banjos (2013)

My March 2013 interview with Greg Galbreath held the top spot of our all-time list for a long time, but has taken a tumble since December 2019. Last year, I did a follow-up interview about the new line of Buckeye Banjo models. 

2. Getting Blitzed with Tom Collins (2018)

Staying steady in the second spot is my March 2018 interview with Tom Collins. His YouTube videos continue to offer some excellent instruction for banjo newbies and adepts alike. If you haven't checked in with his offerings, Collins has also released some cool merch, including a "Jack of Diamonds" themed T-shirt. 

1. Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review (2018)

This post has skyrocketed up the list since it was posted in January 2018. When I compiled the list in 2018, my review of popular picks for clawhammer banjo ranked No. 3. It now has 1,200 more views than the post above. I've thought of doing a follow-up post of some of the newer options out there, but I almost never use a pick and don't feel like buying them.

Let me know in the comments which post was your favorite. Or tell me what topics you'd like me to cover in the coming months. Thanks again to all of you who make this blog possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b