Skip to main content

Vinyl Hunter 13: Van Kidwell and The Hotmud Family, Midnight Ride (1975)

We're back again with another vinyl acquisition. After sharing my Ohio old-time collection last week, a friend asked on Facebook why I didn't have any Hotmud Family. He also suggested I check out Van Kidwell. When I said they were on my want list and joked that my birthday was coming up, he decided to send me this album as an early present. Today is HIS birthday, so this is a tribute to my friend, Russ Harbaugh.

But first, let's talk about this record. Here we have Midnight Ride, by Fiddlin' Van Kidwell with the Hotmud Family, released in 1975 on Vetco Records, based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Kidwell lived in the Cincinnati/Dayton area, but was originally from Kentucky. He recorded two albums with the Hotmud Family in the mid-1970s, this being the second. There's also a Field Recorders' Collective release available on CD and digital download.

I first heard of Kidwell through Doug Dorschug of the Highwoods Stringband in a post on the Fiddle Hangout, when I was first researching Ohio fiddlers. In his memoir, Fire on the Mountain: An American Odyssey, Walt Koken claimed that Kidwell was the source for the version of "Big Scioty" most commonly played today. However, I haven't been able to find a recording of him playing that tune. (I have always heard the tune attributed to Burl Hammons.)

The Hotmud Family were also from the Cincinnati/Dayton area and anchored by the trio of Rick Good on banjo, Suzanne Edmundson (nee Thomas) on mandolin and guitar, and Dave Edmundson on fiddle and guitar. In addition to the two albums with Kidwell, the band released six other albums between 1974 and 1981.

Midnight Ride collects 16 tunes, including 12 traditional old-time tunes and four originals by Kidwell. The music is spirited and propulsive. You can tell the musicians were used to playing together, as their sound is tight and in the groove. Russ called Kidwell a "rather ambitious fiddler." Listening to this record, it's not hard to understand why he would say that.

I met Russ about 10 years ago. He's an excellent fiddler and banjo-mandolin player who lives in Virginia now, but he's originally from my hometown of Kent, Ohio. One day, he showed up at the jam I used to attend at the Europe Gyro while he was in town visiting family. (I'm pretty sure this YouTube video was from the first time I met him.) For a few years, he would come up every summer and play tunes with us.

Russ has always been generous and encouraging, and him sending me this album is just one example of the contents of his character. He visited my house when I first started playing fiddle and let me record a few of his tunes. He has always offered words of support when it comes to my playing and my various writings on old-time music.

There are a bunch of videos of Russ playing on YouTube, at various jams and with his bands, such as Roscoe P and Coal Train and the Poorhouse Pepsteppers. He also wrote a wonderful tune, "Jilleen's Waltz," named after his daughter who is nearly always by his side enjoying the music.

Thank you for your kindness, Russ, and the happiest of birthdays to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Banjo Joke Compendium

This post is dedicated to my friend Joel Specht. Ever since the Olitsky & Moskovitz concert last month, my son has been obsessed with banjo jokes. During one of the MANY tuning breaks, they asked the crowd to fill the time by telling their favorite quips about the old five-string. Joel told many that night. I've been trying to remember them, along with best ones I've heard over the years for when my son asks again, so I thought I'd make this list. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Answer: Nobody cries when you cut up a banjo. Question: How do you know if the floor is level? Answer: The banjo player is drooling out of both sides of his mouth. Question: What's the difference between a banjo and trampoline? Answer: You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline. Question: What's the definition of perfect pitch? Answer: When you can throw a banjo into a dumpster without hitting the sides. Question: How do yo

Clawhammer Picks and You: A Review

Clawhammer picks are a useful tool for increasing volume or to overcome fingernail challenges, such as broken, too short or weak nails. There are all sorts of commercial and homemade solutions available for banjo players, but it can be difficult to decide which options to choose. Thankfully, I've already done some of the work for you. Just to be clear, I prefer my natural fingernail for frailing. However, there was a time when I experimented with regularly using a pick, and there are instances now where I find that a pick is necessary. Today, I'll take you through the five options I've tried. These are all available online at prices ranging from about $1 to $13. Reversed/Reshaped Dunlop Pick ($0.75) This was the most common suggestion before other companies started addressing the gap in the clawhammer pick market. Take a bluegrass pick, flatten it out and wear it backwards. The problem is that it's hard to get the fit right. While Dunlop picks are cheap and r

Summer Blockbusters: Top 10 Banjo Movies

We’re nearing the end of the summer movie season, which this year has included blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War , Solo: A Star Wars Story , Incredibles 2 and other movies, including some that weren’t produced by Disney. However, none of these films showcases a banjo in any way. It's not like the banjo hasn't been featured on the silver screen throughout film history. The five-string has starred in numerous movies, sometimes in its proper context as a musical instrument and other times as a comedic prop. Whether making a cameo or starring in the hands of the main character, it's well past time to present my Top 10 Banjo Blockbusters: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) Written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, this movie sucked me into the realm of old-time , bluegrass and country music in general. The banjo is featured in a number of songs on the soundtrack and shows up on screen a few times throughout the movie. Top Banjo Moment: Delmar picks the banjo b